I went over to my Massi’s (mom’s sister/aunt) house a couple weeks ago and she offered me some soup she had just made. It looked bland to the eye, but it drove my tastebuds wild so of course I asked her “what’s in it?” and she literally said, “Portobello Mushrooms and Ginger.”
The soup had so much flavor with just two ingredients, I had to go home and recreate it immediately. It was delicious to begin with, but with a couple additions, I’m in love.
After playing around with it, I have created a wildly simple, but flavorful soup that is just perfect for winter.
I used my instant pot and vitamix to make it, but you can easily use your stove and immersion blender.
2 large or 3 small portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup fresh ginger
1/2 a jalapeno with seeds intact
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp fatty part of canned coconut milk (you know how it separates and all the thick stuff is on top… that stuff)
2 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you want to keep it veggie)
1 cup water
Cilantro for garnish
1. put mushrooms, ginger and jalapeno in instant pot (I put it on the trivet) with 1 cup of water. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 5 minutes.
2. Quick release and transfer it all to a blender and add 2 cups of chicken broth. Blend until smooth. (OR use an immersion blender in the pot)
3. Transfer back into pot and bring to a boil on saute mode. I transferred it to a pot on my stove and boiled on there.
4. Add coconut milk and salt. Mix well.
5. Serve hot and garnish with cilantro!